Know the Facts
Childhood Cancer is the #1 cause of death by disease in children today. Here are some other surprising facts:
- Childhood cancer is the #1 cause of death by disease in children. It kills more children per year than cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, asthma and AIDS combined.
- There are 15 children diagnosed with cancer for every one child diagnosed with pediatric AIDS. Yet, the U.S. invests approximately $595,000 for research per victim of pediatric AIDS and only $20,000 for each victim of childhood cancer.
- In the past 20 years, only three new cancer drugs have been approved for pediatric use. Children continue to receive toxic drugs intended for adults.
- 95% of children diagnosed with cancer suffer long term and often life-threatening side effects, such as heart damage, chemo induced secondary cancer, lung damage, infertility, hearing loss, growth defects and many more.
- Cancer symptoms in children include fever, swollen glands, anemia, bruises and infection They are often misdiagnosed and treated as other childhood illnesses.
- Only 4% of federally funded cancer research is allocated to all types of pediatric cancer.
- 80% of children have metastasized cancer at the time of their diagnosis. At diagnosis, only 20% of adults with cancer show evidence that the disease has spread or metastasized.
- Nearly 16,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year. That is the size of 2 average classrooms every single day, year after year.
- Pharmaceutical companies fund over 50% of adult cancer research, but virtually nothing for kids.
Our programs are designed to further our mission and provide much needed services for our constituents.
Take a look.
Fundraisers and events help us raise awareness and generate crucial resources to serve our community. Join us at our next event and see how you can get involved.
Find out more.